Canada has emerged as one of the most preferred destinations for international students. However, many students are worried about funding their education in Canada.
To help these students fund their tuition and living expenses, we have curated a selection of scholarships provided by the Canadian Government, various Canadian universities and other organizations.
#1 Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) program helps Canadian institutions attract highly qualified doctoral students. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Valued at $50,000 per year for three years during doctoral studies
- Considers three equally weighted evaluation criteria: academic excellence, research potential, and leadership
- Candidates must be nominated by the Canadian Institution at which they want to study
- Around 200 students every year get this scholarship to study at the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia, the University of Waterloo, the University of Alberta and nearly 100 other institutions
#2 University of Waterloo International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards
The International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards at the University of Waterloo are great funding opportunities for international students. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Eligible students must be enrolled full-time in research-based graduate degree programs at the University of Waterloo and hold a valid Canadian study permit
- Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program, and not have outstanding probationary admission requirements, or be concurrently receiving external awards or sponsorships, or be self-funded
- Valued at $2,045 per term for 2 years (Master’s) or $4,090 per term for 3 years (PhD)
#3 Ontario Graduate Scholarship
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship program is funded by the provincial government to encourage excellence in graduate studies at the master’s and doctoral levels. It is a merit-based scholarship and awards are available to students, including international students, in all disciplines of academic study. Key points of this scholarship include:
- Valued at $15,000 per year
- The minimum duration the scholarship may be held for is two consecutive terms
- Be an international student studying in Ontario with a student study permit
#4 Ontario Trillium Scholarship
Ontario Trillium Scholarship program aims to attract more of the best qualified international students to Ontario for their PhD studies. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Each OTS is valued at $40,000 annually and is automatically renewable for an additional three years
- Six new awardees are selected every year at Waterloo
- Recipients must be international students, who hold a valid Canadian study permit and must be intending to pursue full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree granting program
#5 University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) are merit-based awards that are open to students of any nationality who will be registered as full-time graduate students (Masters or PhD) at the University of Manitoba.
- Valued at $18,000 (PhD) and $14,000 (Master’s) for a 12-month period
- Students are eligible to receive fellowships for the first 24 months of their Master’s program and the first 48 months of their PhD program
- Students should have a minimum GPA of 3.75
- Students in all fields of graduate study with the exception of those in the College of Medicine and in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program are eligible to apply
#6 University of Calgary Graduate Awards
International students are eligible to apply for many of the awards administered through the University of Calgary Graduate Scholarship Office. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- You may apply for awards after you have submitted an application for admission and receive a University of Calgary student number
- Scholarship value ranges from $1,000 to $40,000 and covers different fields of study
#7 Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation doctoral scholarships in the humanities and social sciences are special in terms of scope and stature in the country. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Each year, up to fifteen scholarships are awarded to Canadian and foreign doctoral candidates
- Students, who are enrolled full-time and in their first or second year (or in the process of enrolling) of a doctoral program in the humanities and social sciences, can apply
- Its annual value is up to $60,000 per scholar for a maximum of three years
#8 UBC Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships
The Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships enable promising leaders from developing countries to pursue doctoral studies at UBC. The fellowships are to support international students showing outstanding leadership in humanitarian and development work in their home country. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- The scholarship value is $18,200 per year plus tuition for four years
- Two new fellowships will be offered each year
#9 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered by the Canadian government to international students undertaking postgraduate study within the natural and social sciences or health research. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually; a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time
- Valued at $70,000 per year and for a maximum of 2 years
#10 Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s Program
The objective of the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Valued at $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
- be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the master’s or doctoral level at a Canadian institution with a CGS M allocation
#11 NSERC Postgraduate scholarships
Various Canadian government scholarships, grants and awards available to outstanding students undertaking study in the natural sciences or engineering at an accredited Canadian university. Click here for more information.
#12 Carleton University Awards for International Students
Scholarships to study in Canada at Carleton University, open to all graduate students, who are automatically considered for the awards upon application. Click here for more information.
#13 Dalhousie University Scholarships
Scholarships for current and prospective international/domestic students of all levels, studying at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Click here for more information.
#14 Fairleigh Dickinson Scholarships for International Students
Scholarships for international students of all levels, undertaking study in Canada at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Vancouver. Click here for more information.
#15 McGill University Scholarships and Student Aid
Various funding opportunities, including the McGill Entrance Scholarship Program and the PBEEE – Quebec Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students, for international students enrolled in graduate and postdoctoral studies. Click here for more information.
#16 Queen’s University International Scholarships
A number of scholarships for international students to study in Canada at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario. Some awards solely open to students from India, Pakistan and the US. Click here for more information.
#17 University of Saskatchewan International Student Awards
Merit-based ‘excellence’ scholarships to study in Canada, for undergraduate international students at the University of Saskatchewan. Click here for more information.
#18 Simon Fraser University Financial Aid and Awards
A range of scholarships and other funding opportunities for domestic and international students currently studying or planning to study at Simon Fraser University. Click here for more information.
#19 Western University International Admission Scholarships
Various Canadian scholarships offered to international students undertaking study at the University of Western Ontario. Click here for more information.
If you liked this article, please share it with your friends.
You may also want to check out our article on Study in Canada: part-time opportunities and other tips
Lastly, you can use Google to type your question and add Admission Table in front of it. You’ll likely find an answer to any study overseas questions that you have.
In case you don’t find an answer to your question, simply chat with us. We would love to answer your questions and help you get into the best school for you.