MS in Computer Science in Germany vs USA
Following are some of the key advantages and disadvantages of pursuing Masters in Computer Science in Germany as compared to the one in the US:
- Zero tuition fee: state funded universities offer free education. Private universities charge tuition fee, which is also comparatively very low.
- Research facilities are good
- Cheap living compared to the US. You can cover up to 80% of your monthly living expenses by working part-time with some professors, helping them in their on-going research projects.
- Good opportunities with startups in Berlin and Munich
- Less expensive health insurance
- Better work life balance
- Lower pay in part-time as well as fewer opportunities as compared to the US. However, you get paid enough to meet your monthly expenses.
- You need to learn German language for easier day-to-day living as well as better access to part-time opportunities.
- Out of Times top 100 universities, 37 are in the US whereas 19 are in Europe. The US has large number of good universities, offering every possible specialization and courses you can imagine.
- With German student visa you can travel all over Europe
- You can stay up to 1.5 years after completion of your Masters to search for a job
- Great career opportunities for you – by some estimates, there is a shortage of over 100K engineers and IT professionals with average salaries around $60K a year.
- You can work for a maximum of 90 days per year (full time) or 180 days per year (part-time). And the best part, you don’t any additional need work permit for it. So by working part-time you can cover majority of your living expenses.
- If you do well in your internships, you have a good chance of getting a full-time placement.
Computer Science and Engineering Master’s Degree in English – Recommended Universities in Germany
|#1 FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg||Advanced Signal Processing and Communications Engineering||15 April|
|#2 SRH University Heidelberg||Applied Computer Science, Information Technology||1 April, 1 October|
|#3 University of Applied Sciences Mittweida||Applied Mathematics in Digital Media||15 May|
|#4 TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences)||Automation & IT, Communication Systems and Networks, Computer Science||NA|
|#5 Esslingen University of Applied Sciences||Automotive Systems||31 March|
|#6 Hochschule Bonn-Rhein-Sieg||Autonomous Systems||1 July, 15 January|
|#7 Bielefeld University||Behavior: From Neural Mechanisms to Evolution||1 October|
|#8 TU München||Biomedical Computing, Computational Mechanics, Data Engineering and Analytics, Informatics – Games Engineering||31 May|
|#9 FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg||Communications and Multimedia Engineering||15 March|
|#10 RWTH Aachen University||Communications Engineering, Computational Engineering Science, Media Informatics||1 March, 15 July|
|#11 FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg||Computational Engineering||15 April|
|#12 University of Stuttgart||Computational Linguistics, Computer Science, Information Technology||15 July, 15 January|
|#13 Saarland University||Computer and Communications Technology, Language Science and Technology, Mathematics and Computer Science, Media Informatics||15 May, 15 November|
|#14 University of Konstanz||Computer and Information Science||15 May, 1 December|
|#15 TU Kaiserslautern||Computer Science, Embedded Computing Systems||30 April, 31 October|
|#16 Bauhaus-Universität Weimar||Computer Science and Media, Human-Computer Interaction||15 July, 15 January|
|#17 University of Magdeburg||Data and Knowledge Engineering||15 June, 15 December|
|#18 University of Hildesheim||Data Analytics||31 July, 15 September|
|#19 Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences||Digital Media||15 January|
|#20 University of Applied Sciences and Arts Dortmund||Project Management||15 July|
|#21 Fulda University of Applied Sciences||Global Software Development||15 October, 15 April|
|#22 University of Tübingen||Neural Information Processing, Computational Linguistics||15 January|
|#23 Hamburg University of Technology||Information and Communication Systems||31 March|
|#24 Kiel University of Applied Sciences||Information Engineering||30 April, 31 October|
|#25 Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences||Information Engineering and Computer Science, Usability Engineering||15 July, 15 January|
|#26 Frankfurt University of Applied Sciences||Information Technology (IT)||15 April|
|#27 Bielefeld University||Intelligent Systems||15 July|
|#28 Berlin University of Technology||Computational Neuroscience||15 March|
|#29 TU Darmstadt||Information and Communication Engineering||15 June|
|#30 TU Dresden||Computational Logic||31 May|
|#31 University of Applied Sciences Wedel||IT Engineering||31 August, 28 February|
|#32 Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences||Computer Science||1 September|
|#33 South Westphalia University of Applied Sciences||International Management & Information Systems||15 November, 15 May|
|#34 Leuphana University Lüneburg||Management & Data Science||1 June|
|#35 Ruhr University Bochum||Cognitive Science||NA|
|#36 Ulm University||Cognitive Systems||NA|
|#37 Paderborn University||Computer Engineering, Computer Science||31 May, 30 November|
|#38 Jacobs University Bremen||Computational Life Science, Data Engineering||1 June|
|#39 Computational Life Science||Computer Science||1 June, 15 December|
|#40 University of Passau||Computer Science||15 January, 30 June|
|#41 University of Siegen||Computer Science||30 April|
|#42 Kiel University||Digital Communications||1 April|
|#43 University of Münster||Information Systems||31 May, 30 November|
|#44 Universität Hamburg||Intelligent Adaptive Systems||31 March|
|#45 University of Bamberg||International Software Systems Science||1 June, 1 December|
|#46 University of Koblenz-Landau||Mathematical Modelling of Complex Systems||15 July, 15 December|
|#47 University of Augsburg||Software Engineering||1 May|
|#48 University of Koblenz-Landau||Web Science||15 May, 15 November|
|#49 Ilmenau University of Technology||Media Technology||Rolling|
|#50 Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München||Neuro-Cognitive Psychology||1 March|
|#51 Ilmenau University of Technology||Computer & Systems Engineering||30 March, 15 July|
|#52 Heilbronn University||Software Engineering and Management||15 July|
Above are recommended deadlines for international students with a possibility of scholarships.
If you liked this article then please share with your friends. They will like it too!
You may also want to check out our article on 30 Mechanical, Chemical and Energy Engineering Master’s Degree in Germany in English
Lastly, you can use Google to type your question and add AdmisionTable in front of it. Our students find this very helpful because you’ll likely find an answer to any study overseas questions that you have.
In case you don’t find an answer to your question, simply message us over chat. We love to help you in getting admit from your best school.