Every student planning to study abroad is driven by the desire to ensure they have the best possible career by opting to study elsewhere.
This is no easy feat, considering that local students usually have a better chance of securing a job than an international student applying for the same opening.
Also, making it harder for international students are the visa policies of different countries.
Nevertheless, students these days are willing to go the extra mile for a chance to land their dream job. If you are one of these students, there are many steps you can take to improve your career opportunities abroad.
#1 Planning and research
As is the case with most situations in life, you need a plan to get you started. In order to make a great plan, you need to do a lot of research.
- Learn about the visa policies and regulations of that country. This is extremely important so that you’re aware of the timelines involved and how to go about living and working in this country.
- Figure out which companies would best suit your need. Keep in mind that companies offering a great package may not always sponsor your visa.
- Visit your school’s International Students Office and Career Development Center. The resources available here will provide useful insight into career opportunities, while the employees here should have a lot of experience in helping international students and can do the same for you.
- You can hire a career coach to help you figure out the best possible options for your profile.
#2 Establish connections
Networking is a great way to get your foot in the door. It can also help you grow within the company after being hired.
- You could get in touch with domestic as well as international alumni. These former students will not only have a lot of great advice to share, but will also let you know about potential job opportunities.
- Attend career fairs and talk to recruiters. Even if you aren’t picked up on the spot, use the opportunity to better understand what employers are looking for and develop your skills accordingly.
- Building a strong rapport with your professors could also help in the long run.
#3 Create a Strong Resume
With a bit of planning and foresight, there is a lot you can do as a student to ensure that your resume is appealing to future employers.
- Participate in leadership programs
- Opt for job shadowing experiences
- Become a community volunteer
- Apply for internships
#4 Applying for Jobs
While this step is a no-brainer, there are certain things you can do to increase your chances of landing that job.
- Begin the application process as soon as possible. Some companies take a long time with this process, and if you get the job, you will have to work for a working visa before your student visa expires.
- While most students prefer to apply to well-known companies that are fairly large, some less familiar employers with attractive career prospects may slip through your fingers. Job boards are great places to learn about these opportunities.
- For students open to relocating to other countries, it would be a good idea to simultaneously apply to companies in and out of their host country.
- Schedule a mock interview (if possible) before an actual interview
- Always have a backup plan. If you do not get a job in the country you studied in, you should have one or more options in your home country to fall back on.
While these steps cannot guarantee you land the job of your dreams, they should help to a certain extent.
Finally, be positive and confident in your abilities as many counselors stress on how this attitude will be attractive to potential employers.
Even if your first job isn’t your dream job, you’re one step closer to getting it. Good luck!
If you liked this article then please share with your friends. They will like it too!
You may also want to check out our article on 31 Great Engineering Programs With Amazing Career Opportunities
Lastly, you can use Google to type your question and add AdmisionTable in front of it. Our students find this very helpful because you’ll likely find an answer to any study overseas questions that you have.
In case you don’t find an answer to your question, simply message us over chat. We love to help you in getting admit from your best school.