If your native language is not English and you completed your secondary or higher education in a non-native English speaking country, you must take a test of English language proficiency.
Minimum Exam Scores
1. IELTS: Typical ‘passing’ score – 7.0, Typical ‘strong’ score – 7.5+
2. TOEFL (paper-based): Typical ‘passing’ score – 600
3. TOEFL (internet-based): Typical ‘passing’ score – 100; Typical ‘strong’ score – 102+
There are no minimum requirements for admission to the University of Rochester. Each student’s application is reviewed using a committee process that entails a comprehensive evaluation of each candidate. The typical Rochester student has:
• Ranked in the top 10% of their high school class
• Taken 2–7 AP or IB courses
• Maintained a median academic unweighted GPA of 3.8
• Submitted an SAT score between 1900 and 2200 or an ACT score between 29 and 33
These are only the bare numbers to describe a University of Rochester student. We also value unquantifiable strengths such as initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, and leadership, and we’re also careful to ensure our student body of close to 1,100 new students represents the full spectrum of diversity, including hometowns, ideas, and experiences.