Holy Names University (HNU) was founded by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in 1868 on the shores of Lake Merritt. In 1957, the campus was moved from Lake Merritt to a wooded site in the Oakland Hills. An academic community committed to the full development of each student, Holy Names offers a liberal education rooted in the Catholic tradition, empowering a diverse student body for leadership and service in a complex world.
HNU students can choose from 19 bachelor’s degree programs, seven master’s degree programs and four degree completion programs (for adults). Holy Names University is consistently ranked as one of the most diverse universities in the country and received an 8 year reaffirmation of accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges in July 2016.